South Australian Railways - Broad Gauge

Class operators South Australian Railways
Australian National Railways
Condition Excellent
Provenance South Australian Railways
Ownership National Railway Museum
Class Builders English Electric, Rocklea, Queensland
Number in class 10
Entered service 9th June 1956.
Withdrawn 1992
Entered the museum 1992
Total Weight 72 tons (73,152 kilograms)
Length (over coupling points) 44ยด 10
Engine type EE 6SRKT
Horsepower 750 hp
Wheel Arrangement Bo-Bo
Traction Motors 4x
Gear Ratio 56:15
Fuel capacity 700 gallons (3,182 litres)
Bogie centres 6.80
Built by English Electric, Rocklea, Queensland
Mileage 721,420 KM
Condemmed 1992
Cylinders 6 in line
Designer English Electric, Rocklea, Queensland
Height 4.19
Maximum Axle Load 18.3t
Maximum Speed 97 km/h
Model 800 class
Number series 800 to 809
Tractive Effort (continuous) 102 kN at 14 km/h
Tractive Effort (starting) 179 kN
Width 2.90

The first orders for broad-gauge diesel-electric motive power placed by the SAR in the early 1950s were for main line locomotives - the 900 and 930-classes. However, ageing steam locomotives were still used for shunting and it was increasingly evident that their replacement was overdue. Therefore, in 1955, an order was placed with English Electric, Rocklea, Queensland, for ten 750 h.p. Bo-Bo machines. These were delivered in 1956-57 and became the 800-class No.800-809.
No.801 was the second of the order, carrying works number A-002, and was placed in service on 9th June 1956.

Most were allocated to the Port Adelaide depot where they replaced the small P-class 2-4-0 tank engines (No.117 is preserved in this museum), and provided shunting power for the area for the next thirty years. They were not however restricted exclusively to these duties, but regularly hauled transfer freight trains around suburban Adelaide, and occasionally worked local passenger trains.

All were taken into Australian National ownership on 1st March 1978, but began to be withdrawn from service and cut up in the early 1990s. No.801 was withdrawn and sold to the railway museum in 1992. It is in full working order and is occasionally used for shunting.