Y97
South Australian Railways - Narrow Gauge

Class operators South Australian Railways
Entered service 27th February 1890
Condition Excellent
Entered the museum 23rd September 1970
Length (over coupling points) 39´ 3.125"
Number in class 129
Ownership History Trust of South Australia
Provenance South Australian Railways
Total Weight 47.75 tons
Tractive Effort 13,289 lbs
Wheel Arrangement 2-6-0
Withdrawn 14.5.1970


The Y-class 2-6-0s constituted the largest class of locomotives on the South Australian Railways, 129 having been built between 1885 and 1898. The last of the series to go into service, No.179, was also the first locomotive to be built at the Islington Workshops.

The initial order was placed with Beyer Peacock & Co. of Manchester, England but, besides the two constructed at Islington, a large number were also built at Gawler by James Martin & Co. No.97 is a Beyer Peacock locomotive and carries builder´s number 3147 of 1889. It was placed in service on 27th February 1890.

The Y-class were a development of Beyer Peacock´s "Narrow-gauge Mogul", and this type saw service in every colony in Australia with the exception of Victoria. In South Australia it became the standard narrow-gauge locomotive, serving on the Northern, Western and Southern Systems, and Eyre Peninsula.

Y 97 was withdrawn on 14.5.1970. The day before it had done a special trip for the Australian Railway Historical Society to Eurelia & return. It was moved to the Mile End Museum on 23rd September 1970 and eventually to its current home at the museum on 11th November 1988.